darkness

Mar 10, 2008


buildings and sky
Originally uploaded by zen
the greatest darkness i've ever encountered was during my years of spelunking. We'd get at our destination in a cave - deep in the drippy rock intestines of the earth and shut off our carbide lamps. Yes, it was that long ago that i went caving with carbide lamps. The darkness would surround us, hug us and not let go. Usually with normal darkness our eyes would adjust within 5 or 10 minutes and we'd see something, but here - here in the photonless world the darkness would seem to press against the eyeballs. I remember even touching my eyeball because i wasn't convinced that my eyes were even open. My body seemed to grow in size and so did the surrounding rocks. Our other senses were heightened and we laughed nervously at our own disorientation.

Darkness like this only comes rarely in life, and i'm glad i experienced it - enough to know that blindness, if it ever comes to me, will be like the death of a part of me... not just because i won't be able to see my Helen's eyes or take photos or Orion's constellation or the silhouettes of buildings, because i'll still have my imagination. It will be like the death of me because i live for light and give thanks to the gods for being able to see.

6 comments:

I rubbed my hands together one time in total cave darkness while visiting some caverns in the Shenandoah Valley and I saw a green glow. The tour guide said it was my aura. I thought "yeah right" but really what was it? Any explanations? Whatever it was, it was very cool. I was just thinking of this not long ago.

Jessica said...
March 11, 2008 at 11:06 AM  

huh... i don't know. Maybe some form of static electricity, or maybe it was your aura. Green huh? You're lucky. My aura is pink. Pthhthh.

zen said...
March 11, 2008 at 12:16 PM  

My aura is a black hole. I rubbed my hands together in a cave, and everyone disappeared.

March 11, 2008 at 5:55 PM  

LOL Bill!

zen said...
March 11, 2008 at 6:45 PM  
oakleyses said...
July 5, 2016 at 8:34 PM  
oakleyses said...
July 5, 2016 at 8:37 PM  

Post a Comment