damn sappy commercials

Mar 22, 2008


hands of love
Originally uploaded by zen
Ok, I'm a big sap. A big Asheville-type guy, but I just don't happen to have a pony-tail in my grey hair shorter than an inch. I watched an Ingles grocery store commercial that made me cry. A flippin' commercial! It starts out with a young couple at the door to grandma's house and she expresses anxiety about fitting in with everyone. He says "It's ok, you're family now." and they're ushered in to a busy family household with people running around getting ready for the big meal. "How was your honeymoon?" someone - likely a sister or cousin asks in the kitchen. Her answer is interrupted with someone else coming thru with fresh biscuits out of the oven. She asks the sweet old grandmother if she needs any help and mama looks up from a tattered card with the recipe to say "No, we've got it, thanks!" or something along those lines, but we see that grandma sees our new bride trying to fit in. Then the meal of wonderful gumbo and the family is talking non-stop and the husband confides that it's grandma's secret recipe. We watch the new bride still struggle to fit in, to get a word in edgewise, but is a bit too shy. We also see that grandma notices in a kindly way and from across the table that new-bride is struggling to be a part of the family.

Then they're saying goodbyes and they walk out the front door, and the new bride is about to tell new-groom that she likes the family, but couldn't fit in and she reaches in her pocket and finds the old tattered card with the gumbo recipe on it. Grandma can be seen smiling as she closes the door.

Sheesh, I'm so susceptible to the obvious. I should run out and watch 10 Steven Spielberg movies to be pummeled with obviousness! Then, I told my sweet Helen about the commercial and I got all teary just telling it, and we BOTH cried. I really love being open hearted, but I'm a bit too easy when it comes to having my emotions yanked around, I think.

Don't get me started on the damn John Deere commercial where mom and child get dad a hat and key for his birthday!

6 comments:

seems like a long time ago that I stood there committing myself to the love of my life.
I like the sappy commercial description...open hearts are vulnerable but fulfilling.
Kara

Anonymous said...
March 22, 2008 at 2:22 PM  

My wife and I also like that commercial but I believe it is Publix, not Ingles. They have a whole series of them and they are all good. I especially like the way that they quietly show you who they are at the end.

Steve...

Anonymous said...
March 24, 2008 at 9:58 AM  

I've seen this too but it's been a while back.
My mom calls it "tender-hearted" and it is a characteristic that I wish many more men and women had. I've spent and wasted a lot of time trying to fit in. It's good to have someone that sees you for who you are and what your heart desires. It is so nice to be noticed/ appreciated/accepted for you being just you - no fluff needed. It's a sappy commercial but it's damn good stuff!

Jessica said...
March 24, 2008 at 12:43 PM  

They pay people on Madison Ave to get into the minds of the gullible. Sentimentality can be used with great effect. Our president is such a person. I can't bear to type the bastards name.

Anonymous said...
April 6, 2008 at 5:05 AM  

Are you sure you're not pregnant?

Deb Abramson said...
May 21, 2008 at 11:07 AM  
oakleyses said...
July 5, 2016 at 8:33 PM  

Post a Comment