my father, once again

Mar 16, 2008


dad's kiss
Originally uploaded by zen
my father, once again
enters my mind
most recently
by leaving
this world

so much he's given
i cannot call
his passing
into the next life
my loss
but my gain

dad dying
was the early
corking of a great wine
and the taste i got
made each sip precious
especially knowing
time was limited

i got to know him most
in his last months
when i took care of him
and played parent
feeding and clothing
talking late into old Akron nights
holding his hand
holding back tears
holding on

i have the rest
of my natural life
to mourn
my gain

2 comments:

love the photo,
beautiful poem.
you have great talent taking emotions and molding them into words.

Jessica said...
March 18, 2008 at 11:46 AM  
oakleyses said...
July 5, 2016 at 8:37 PM  

Post a Comment